Wednesday, December 21, 2011

2011 Annual Cookie Decorating Party & Marshmallow Fondant Tutorial

If you have been following my blog for a while now, you have probably seen photos from our cookie party we have each year.  This year was even better as we had sweet new faces as well as the girls who come each year!  I enjoy this party so much because it is just for me and my friends.  No kids allowed!  :-)  I love kids as much as the next person, but it is nice to be able to get together with MY friends and do something that I love to do!

Anyway, we had a great turn out and the cookies were adorable when we were all done. I have been collecting cookie decorations for years now and I have sooo many to share.  Sanding sugars, non-parielles, jimmies, cute little shapes as well as candy coated sunflower seeds, Sixlets, and icing eyeballs.  You really can't have too many!  I found these little tart cups at our local dollar store.  They were awesome for this purpose.  I love the scalloped edges!





 This year I added a few designs to my cookies.  I have seen some of the ideas online and some I made up myself as I go.  Hope you enjoy the ideas and if you want to copy them, feel free! 

One of the things I played with this year was marshmallow fondant as a background. It was so fun.... like playing with PlayDoh!  I cut the fondant with the cookie cutter I used so that it fit perfectly on the cookies.  I will include the fondant recipe below.  I made my fondant anise flavored because we all love it.  The cookie icing, however, is vanilla or lemon.  I think that will go over better with others who might not love anise like we do!  The bottom reindeer cookie with the 2011 on it is made with fondant as are the backgrounds of the blue Happy Holidays and the O'Holy Night cookies.

The blue tree with snow below was made with fondant as was the white quilted cookie with blue pearls and the ornament cookie. 

The square cookie with the white tree on the white background was also done in fondant.


Marshmallow Fondant and How to Use It on Cookies

This is the original recipe, but I've changed it up a bit and I've got a few notes to add.
http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Rolled-Marshmallow-Fondant

Ingredients:

  • 1 package (16 ounces) Fireside white mini marshmallows
  • 2-5 tablespoons water
  • 2 pounds (about 8 cups) sifted confectioners' sugar  
  • plus extra confectioners' sugar for rolling fondant
  • Pinch of salt

Makes:

About 2 pounds marshmallow fondant.

Instructions:

Step 1

To make marshmallow fondant, place marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds on high; stir until mixed well. Continue microwaving 30 seconds more; stir again. Continue until melted (about 2 1/2 minutes).

Step 2

Using a mixer, mix sugar & salt into marshmallow mixture. Flavoring should be added at this point.  . Generously sprinkle extra powdered sugar onto counter. Turn marshmallow mixture onto counter.  Separate into pieces per the color you need. Add your coloring here. This allows the coloring to flow easily through the fondant.  Dampen your hands with water.  Start kneading like you would dough. Continue kneading, adding additional confectioners' sugar to the counter so the fondant doesn't stick. If the marshmallow fondant is tearing easily, it is too dry; add water (about 1/2 tablespoon at a time) kneading until fondant forms a firm, smooth elastic ball that will stretch without tearing, about 8 minutes.

Step 3

It's best to allow Marshmallow Fondant to sit, double-wrapped, overnight. Prepare the fondant for storage by coating in confections' sugar and wrap in plastic wrap and then place in resealable bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible. Marshmallow Fondant will keep well in refrigerator for several weeks.

Step 4

When not working with fondant, make sure to keep it covered with plastic wrap or in a bag to prevent it from drying out. When ready to use, knead fondant until smooth. Roll out fondant 1/8 in. thick.

Step 5

To color fondant: If you need to tint the entire batch of fondant, add a little icing color to the melted marshmallow mixture before adding confectioners' sugar. For smaller amounts of tinted fondant, add icing color to portions of fondant as needed.

My notes:
In case you are wondering.... this fondant does get hard (like a royal icing would) on the cookies, but it still tastes great and keeps the cookies somewhat soft.  If you flavor it with vanilla, it tastes a lot like candy corn, which to me is too sweet.  I put anise flavoring in it this time and will try lemon next time.  I also added a dash of salt to the recipe.  This cut some of the sweetness.

I have made this using the medium-sized marshmallows too.

I usually separate the larger mass into smaller balls before I start kneading in the color and the extra powdered sugar. If you make it the day before you need it, it really makes the color nicer. Always put LOTS of powdered sugar down when you are rolling the fondant out. It will keep it from sticking. Put powdered sugar on the top of the fondant before you roll it with your rolling pin too. Be generous with the powdered sugar, you can't use too much. Pretend you are playing with Play-doh and have fun with it! 

The original recipe had you put shortening on the counter and your hands, but I found that this just made a big mess to clean up and really was unneccesary.  I just wet my hands often and added more powdered sugar. 

In order to use it on cookies, roll the fondant to about 1/8 inch thick.  Cut the shape you used for your cookie with the same cookie cutter. You can also use a smaller shape than the one you used so that you will have cookie edges.  I did this with the square Christmas tree cookie in the picture just above.  I cut the square cookie with a larger cutter. Then I used a smaller square cookie cutter for the background.  I then used a tree cookie cutter to cut the tree out for on top.  In order for the fondant to stick to your cookie and to itself, use a little of your icing.  You can then add icing on top to decorate, or you can use dabs of icing to hold your little decorations on.  Enjoy and have fun!




Photobucket

3 comments:

Susan @ Oh My! Creative said...

Beautiful cookies! Stopping by from Bird's Party!

Bird said...

Absolutely stunning!!! I'm not sure I'd have been any good at it! hehe

Thank you so much for linking up tot he party! ;)

XOXO
Bird

Unknown said...

Wow these cookies are great! I love playing and decorating with fondant. I actually do use the shortening on my hands to minimize sticking. I'm curious as to what all you used for decorations - they really are pretty!




Blog Widget by LinkWithin